Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Global Gaucho

Maakye m'damfos! Good morning friends!

The Global Gaucho recently published a short article I wrote on my time in Ghana. Check it out below:


I remember thinking to myself, “I will be fine” when the Ghana returnees emitted their warnings about the lack of running water, pesky mosquitoes, and the absence of American fast food during the pre-departure orientation three months before I left on my Education Abroad Program adventure. However, there is a big difference between hearing about the difficulties of studying abroad and then experiencing them firsthand. The reality is that studying abroad in Ghana was challenging and pushed me completely outside of my comfort zone, but the rewards were well worth the struggle. After hand washing my laundry and taking bucket showers for ten months, I left Ghana with a new appreciation for the amenities that I took for granted in my life back in the United States. The decreased importance of technology allowed me to focus on face-to-face interactions and as a result, I developed strong personal connections. Although the slower pace of life in Ghana led to frustration at times, it also taught me to take a deep breath and live in the moment. Even though my time in Ghana may not have always gone smoothly, both figuratively and literally, the bumps I maneuvered abroad shaped me into a stronger, more confident individual with the tools to live in a culturally diverse world. 

- Heidi Graves, EAP Ghana

No comments:

Post a Comment